Monday, December 8, 2008

Bookshelves and Ikea

I purchased bookshelves on Saturday. From Rodney's in Central Square. They sell real pine bookshelves for not much more than say... Billy Bookshelves from Ikea, that are particle board and, although I cannot confirm this, I highly suspect they are made in China. I still have to go to ikea to investigate. 

Anyway, as a sort of price comparison, a Billy half-tall half-wide shelf costs 49$. Mine cost 65$. The half-tall, full-width one costs 69$ at ikea, but 79$ at Rodneys. No assembly required, too. And real wood. Considering the Billy shelves are flat-packed, they are basically slabs of wood cut to the right dimensions and some holes drilled in. If you like the assembly process, go to Home Depot, get some 2x10's and some screws (They cut wood for you there!) and a piece of plywood, and you get the same "materials" as a ikea shelf for a quarter of the price. And you save the gas all the way to Ikea (but you will lack swedish meatballs and lingonberry sauce). 

Before I slander Ikea too much, though, I'd like to note that Ikea does have some fine not made in china things. This bunk bed, made of pine, is one of the few bunk beds in the market not made in China--it is made in Finland. Also, these glasses  are not made in china, either, as I found out at a party this weekend (the glass contained wine, so my recollection of where they were made is a bit fuzzy).

2 comments:

Rosebud said...

Don't knock Ikea too much. Many of their items (particularly their furniture) aren't MiC. Surprisingly more than most "bargain" stores. It does take label reading obviously, but we have a great set of plain white dishes that are made in Portugal.

Maiki said...

I agree! Ikea has many things not made in china! My house is riddled with them. From beds, to glassware to plates. I love the store. That said, many things are also made in china there, and their labeling, especially online, is not the most helpful.

I'm planning on going on an expedition to Ikea sometime to do some investigation.