Friday, December 19, 2008

7 Quick Takes

In imitation of Jen....

1. American Apparel -- All the generic items you could want, no obnoxious logos, all made in the USA, in Downtown LA. Avoid if you are offended by immigration reform or primary colors. Nice quality. I bought some shirts as a gift, there.

2. Papyrus -- I have previously been underwhelmed by the fact that 100% of their gift bags are made in China. However, not all their wrapping paper is made their. About 60% of the their wrapping paper is unlabeled, the rest is made in Switzerland, India, China, or the USA. I went for Switzerland.

3. Crate and Barrel -- More positive news from this store. Much more of their Glassware is made elsewhere since the last time I went there! The vast majority was made in Eastern Europe, with some Italian, and american pieces, with the occasional chinese martini glass. I'm warming up to them again. They are very good about labeling in store, too.

4. I found a perfect shampoo for problem scalps like mine at Lush. A++ to Rehab. Sadly, it is very pricey, compared to the rest of their shampoos. I still bought two bottles, it was that good. Don't be fooled by what they say that it is for "dry, damaged hair". Works fine for oily hair with damaged scalp. But given everything else irritates my hair, I deal. (some of their solid shampoo is good, too, but my favorite, Reincarnate, is discontinued).

5. My Red Oxx Amethyst Flying BoxCar came in the mail! It is built to survive the apocalypse, and is super roomy. It has metal latches instead of velcro, molded plastic zippers, a sturdy id tag, a comfy shoulder strap, and is a very nice color. I can fly carry-on only from now on, I think. It is also very light.

6.  Phaidon Wallpaper City guides are Made in China. Why are travel guides so ubiquitously printed in China? Am Sad.

7. Looking for ribbon, I found that most cloth or metallic ribbon was not made in china (usually Taiwan, but it varies). However, most curling ribbon is made in china. It might be one of those things like fake leather for shoes and books that just gets manufactured there (and seemingly nowhere else?). 

No comments: